“When groups worship God together, they create a community that pleases God.”
Every biblical community, including every small group, longs to please God. Groups often meet without ever considering the importance of bringing glory to Him through their worship of Him. In order for a group to worship God, it’s important that that group do the following:
1. Realize that He is present.
2. Acknowledge His presence early in the gathering by reading a Psalm, singing a song, sharing a personal testimony of how He has been at work in a group member’s life, etc.
3. Call on Him to do what only He can do through prayer.
4. Rest in the peace that accompanies those living in the transformational power of the gospel.
5. Learn—and live—His expectations found in Scripture.
Rick Howerton is the Small Groups and Discipleship Specialist at LifeWay Christian Resources. He has authored many small group studies, is a highly sought-after trainer and speaker, and is the author of Destination Community: Small Group Ministry Manual as well as A Different Kind of Tribe: Embracing the New Small Group Dynamic. He is also the co-author of Disciples Path: A Practical Guide to Disciple Making and Countdown: Launching and Leading Transformational Groups. But Rick’s deepest passion and his goal in life is to see “a biblical small group within walking distance of every person on the planet making disciples that make disciples.”