On this episode of Group Answers, Chris and Brian talk to Jared Musgrove about how to navigate talking about politics in your small group.
Dr. Jared Steven Musgrove is Groups Pastor at The Village Church in Flower Mound, TX and co-founder and Executive Director of communityleadership.org. He is married to Jenny and father to Jordan and Joshua.
- Talk face-to-face. If you want to talk politics, it’s best to do so face-to-face.
- Respect one another. Does this conversation seek to practice the “one anothers” of Scripture?
- Speak with honesty and candor. If you disagree, say so politely. If a statement is hurtful, say that it was, and be quick to forgive. If you make a hurtful statement, be quick to apologize and seek forgiveness.
- Give goodwill. Are you seeking to understand over being understood or validated? Are you seeking to be righteous over being right?
- Be informed. Be okay with admitting if you are not informed and wish to talk about something else.
The Group Answers Podcast is a weekly show designed to resource, train, and encourage small group leaders. Each episode considers current trends and resources as well as timeless truths and methods of discipleship. It is hosted by Brian Daniel, a Bible study and discipleship expert in LifeWay’s Groups Ministry, and Chris Surratt, the small group and discipleship specialist at LifeWay and author of Leading Small Groups.