On this episode of Group Answers, Chris and Brian talk to Dr. Derwin Gray and Alexandra Hoover about the new book and Bible Study, The Good Life.
Dr. Derwin L. Gray is the founding and lead pastor of Transformation Church, a multiethnic, multigenerational, mission-shaped community in Indian Land, South Carolina, just south of Charlotte, North Carolina. Gray met his wife, Vicki, at Brigham Young University (BYU). They have been married since 1992 and have two adult children.
After graduating from BYU, he played professional football in the NFL for five years with the Indianapolis Colts and Carolina Panthers. In 2008, Gray graduated from Southern Evangelical Seminary magna cum laude with a Master of Divinity, with a concentration in Apologetics. While there, he was mentored by renowned theologian and philosopher Dr. Norman Geisler. In 2018, Gray received his Doctor of Ministry in the New Testament in Context at Northern Seminary under Dr. Scot McKnight. In 2015, he was awarded an honorary doctorate from Southern Evangelical Seminary.
Gray is the author of Hero: Unleashing God’s Power in a Man’s Heart (2009), Limitless Life: You Are More Than Your Past When God Holds Your Future (2013), Crazy Grace for Crazy Times Bible Study (2015), and The High-Definition Leader (2015).
Alexandra Hoover is a wife, mother, Bible teacher, and writer. She has the privilege of serving on staff at Transformation Church as the Assistant Director of Equipping. She’s passionate about communicating the love of Jesus, whether it be through writing or speaking.
- When we were planning and creating this study last October, we had no idea where the world would be in June as the study released. How does the message of the Beatitudes speak uniquely to this time?
- How does The Good Life fit into any effective discipleship strategy?
- In the book and in the study we use Ken Boa’s Upward, Inward, Outward strategy, how is this a helpful way to understand the Sermon on the Mount (or any Scripture) and apply it to our lives?
- You are an intentional multi-ethnic, multi-generational church, how does this conviction shape the way you do groups?
- Like practically every church, Transformation Church has had to adapt its ministry to a constantly changing environment. What has worked in terms of virtual and on-line groups and what would you share in terms of successes?
The Group Answers Podcast is a weekly show designed to resource, train, and encourage small group leaders. Each episode considers current trends and resources as well as timeless truths and methods of discipleship. It is hosted by Brian Daniel, a Bible study and discipleship expert in LifeWay’s Groups Ministry, and Chris Surratt, the small group and discipleship specialist at LifeWay and author of Leading Small Groups.